Sunday, March 06, 2005

Mermaids

If anyone knows me, then they know I love reading about mermaids, as well as drawing, painting, soldering, and welding about them as well. . . any medium that I can include mermaids. Well, I decided to remodel our master bath. And I want, of course, to do a mermaid theme. Well, this is what I am thinking of. If anyone has any great ideas let me know. I am think of printing on parchment paper all the actual sighting of mermaids, the dates, and the short description that stated what had been seen--then burning the edge of the parchment paper to make it look more aged and gluing it to the wall, and maybe varnishing over it to add even more of an aged look to the paper. I also want to do a mosiac on the back wall next to the garden tub. I have decided on two, but I think one will be enough work.

The first mosaic I like, because the website where I found it was called Tigerlily, and it is of a girl mermaid with brown hair. The second mosaic is a picture of a full-size mermaid. You can see the fins and it is of a woman. The background of the room will be as if you are under water. I will use different colors and thin the paint to show depth. I am getting excited. I have my tile for the shower and the tile around the tub, but I need to see if I want to do the floor with a tile mermaid or what. Comments accepted with open arms.

I just finished a 10 ft. long by 8 ft. wide (fins) mermaid. I still have to JB weld the gills and fins but her main body is done. I will be building a 3 1/2 ft. raised rock pond for her this summer. I will be putting chinese gold fish and lily pads in the pool. Also, if you know of any organic substance you can put in the water to keep mosquitos away let me know. Thanks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susieq said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/06/2005 8:37 AM  
Blogger Wandering Far said...

If you're after an antique effect on the parchment, in addion to burning the edges, you might try soaking it in a tea mixture. By adjusting the strength/type of tea you can modify the weatherd look of the finished product to your liking.
I only did this once when I was ten, but back then I thought it was pretty cool.

Have fun :)

3/09/2005 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home